March 17, 2011

Popcorn Popping On My Tree




When we bought our house, there was a tree in the back yard.  The people who sold it to us told us it was a "Fruitless Plum Tree".  Now, if you were told this information, what kind of tree would you think we had? A tree with no fruit? That's what we assumed...but unfortunately, certain types of fruitless plum tree's apparently produce plums.  Now, since we have some seriously gorgeous desert landscaping in our back yard, we have never taken care of that tree.  All we do is clean up the leaves every fall and pick up the fruit that has fallen.  This year we are planning out our back yard (goodbye desert landscaping!) and so I am deciding whether or not to keep the tree.  But when we came back from California, I remembered the reason I really love that tree.  Once a year, in the beginning of spring, the tree blooms from top to bottom.  It is so gorgeous and reminds me that spring is coming.  It also reminds me of the song "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree" It feels like we sing it EVERY SINGLE Sunday in singing time.  But for some reason, I love it when the kids "get out their magical glasses" to see the popcorn out the window.  I feel pretty lucky that I have things to remind me how lucky we really are.  This is the third year we have seen these blooms (and I ALWAYS think I have time to take a picture, but always miss it) so I thought I would share.  This is my favorite part of my back yard, hopefully soon, I will love a few more things about my back yard. 



No comments: