May 2, 2011

Pinewood Derby


In our ward, I am the cub master.  I know, I know, it is shocking...especially since I have no boys and I didn't really take interest in my brothers cub scouting.  I knew nothing about scouting when I was called in almost 3 years ago.  It was pretty intimidating.  The only thing I remember from my brothers days in scouts was that his cub master made all the boys call her Akela (which is awesome) and that my brother and my dad made an Oscar Meyer Wiener car for the pinewood derby.  I have learned a lot and finally feel like I have a grasp on what this calling entails.  Our last pack meeting was the pinewood derby, which is the best pack meeting of the year.  I got there super early to get the room ready and meet the guy who we rented the track from. 

We had a great time, all the cars were AWESOME.  It made me remember that even though the calling has some weird hard things that go along with it, in the end it is really really fun. I love seeing how are the boys worked on those cars and how proud they were of them. 

First the boys had to weigh in their cars, they had to be 5 ounces.  There were a few disputes over the weights, but for the most part the cars were right on the spot. 

PS don't I look so rad decked out in my leader shirt? Awesome..


Then they put their cars on this table to wait for their turn to race...


Everyone had a good time watching the cars race, the boys were cheering and screaming every time a race started and finished!




This was my favorite car, seriously a piece of watermelon? I LOVED it...I gave him the "Cubmaster's Favorite" award...so creative!

1 comment:

The Yates said...

you're amazing! this cracked me up