June 10, 2012

Bye Bye Binkie


Well, now that Disneyland is over...(boo boo boo, still crying) and we are adjusted back to normal life again, I knew it was time to get rid of Marilyn's binkie.  She has been seriously attached to her bink's since the moment she was born, we have brought down the craziness by only letting her have it at nap time and at bed time...but she is almost three (OH MY FREAK) now so she is getting way to big to keep it around.I thought I would get rid of it when she saw that Baby Jeff had a binkie, but he didn't help out at all and really won't take one at all.  Now, I pondered about how to do this for a while because I have heard some serious horror stories about getting rid of binkies.  I thought obvioulsy, since Marilyn is strong willed (to say the least) it would be horrendeous.

 I knew she would scream all night long and throw long drawn out screaming fits crying hysterically for her binkies!! I started by having her watch Elmo's "Bye Bye Binkie" episode, hoping it would get into her little cute head that this is ok, because she is big now.  I had dreams about the day when we would have to take this monumental step. 

Marilyn woke up me up out of one of these dreams, on a Tuesday morning and said to me "Mom, lets send my binkie's to Baby Peter because I'm big now." I shook my head and realized what she said and to my great shock and surprise, that was it...

We went to Target that moment (for fear she would realize what this meant) and bought a box to decorate and put them in.  So we colored and sang the "Bye Bye Binkie" song Elmo taught us. 



Then we ran around the house and collected all the binkies. 

Then put them all in the box one by one, and continued singing the song. 

We taped the box up and sang the song a few more times...

Then we took it to the post office and Marilyn told the mail lady all about how she was big now and she was sending her binkies to her cousin Baby Peter.  The lady had everyone in the post office applaud for her and everyone in the room told her how big she was and how proud they were.  She told them, "thank you, only babies need binkies"

I will admit it, I cried a little because even though this is a necessary step in her little life, it is the last real BABY thing she had left.  She is huge now and even though I am depressed about her not being my teeny tiny baby anymore, I am excited to see what life with this big girl will be like! It is like starting over, we all have to figure things out all over again. 

If you are wondering, she hasn't asked about the binkie since we left them at the post office.  We have had no crying tantrums or even whimpering tear about giving them up.  She really is a big girl. 


2 comments:

Brittney said...

That's great it was her idea! My favorite part is that the mail lady did such a great job making it special too. Good job Sara :)

The Holmgrens said...

This gives me a little glimpse of hope. Nora is only 13 months and I'm already dreading the day when we give up the binkie...