November 1, 2011

The Thai Chili Pepper



This is a Thai Chili Pepper.  Some pepper like this are classified as the hottest peppers on the planet.  We grow them in our backyard in a pot.  Since one could say that I like my food significantly less spicy than Tom, meaning I hate most spiciness, he grows these so he can add them to dinner to add a kick.  We have tried and tried to tell Marilyn that we do not eat these peppers.  One time I told her that her face would melt off if she did, she looked at me with a "Mom, you're really weird" look and walked away.  So we try our best, but as many of you know the only way to learn is to try. 

One day I hear Marilyn screaming bloody murder outside in the back yard.  I run to her aid and I see her scratching her tongue and spitting all over the place.  She is screaming "Mama OUCHIE OUCHIE" At first I don't know what is happening, because this is abnormal behavior.  Then I realize she is holding this pepper.  If you look closely at the picture, you can see her teeth marks.  I gave her a drink and eventually she returned to normal Marilyn, but it was a traumatic experience nonetheless.  We learned a valuable lesson though, don't eat Thai Chili Peppers from the plant, ever, no matter what.  Now she walks by the plant and furrow's her brow and says "Yuka" and keeps walking.  That's my girl!

No comments: